- driverless train
- electric mine
- Fly in fly out
- Iron Ore
- JS Jacques
- Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines
- mental health
- mine incident
- mine safety
- mining jobs
- New Acland
- Newcrest Mining
- Queensland Government
- Resolute Mining
- Rio Tinto
- site safety
- suicide prevention
- Weir Minerals
- Western Australia
- Anglo American wins safety award for dust suppression system at Grasstree
Anglo American has scooped top honours at the Queensland Mining Industry Health and Safety Conference Innovation Awards for its Grasstree mine in the Capcoal complex, Queensland. The mining major won the Queensland Mining Industry Innovation Award for a dust suppression system implemented at the site that has seen a 96 per cent reduction in respirable dust … Continue reading Anglo American wins safety award for dust suppression system at Grasstree
- Komatsu revs ‘safest’ trucks on upgraded braking system
Komatsu has introduced low-emission tier 4 engines that feature enhanced road safety capabilities on its two new haul trucks, HD405-8 and HD605-8.
- South32 uses robot technology at Worsley alumina operation
South32 operates a new robot, the BIKE platform, to carry out safety checks at its Worsley alumina operation in Western Australia, one of the world’s largest alumina producers in the world.
- Mining vacancies lead national job growth
Riggers and labourers showed the highest recovery in job demand since the mining and resources sector displayed its first signs of improvement in mid 2016, reported DFP.
- WA Government revises code of practice to protect health of FIFO workers
The McGowan government has released an updated draft code of practice to help create mentally healthy workplaces for fly-in fly-out (FIFO) mine workers in Western Australia.
- Prospect Awards 2018 welcomes industry nominations
The annual Prospect Awards, a prestigious awards program that recognises the achievements and contributions of the mining and minerals processing industry in Australia, is back to welcome industry nominations.
- Metals X builds mobile automation centres at Nifty copper mine
Remote Control Technologies (RCT) recently retrofitted two troop carriers at Metal X’s Nifty copper mine site, transforming the vehicles into a mobile automation centre.
- Senior mine site managers crowd WA annual safety forum
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety gathered mine site leaders to talk safety at its fourth annual registered managers forum last week.
- Pilbara Minerals receives $19.5 million loan for 17 years of safer trucking
Pilbara Minerals (PLS) has received a $19.5 million loan from Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility (NAIF) to upgrade Western Australia’s 70km Pippingarra Road that stretches from PLS’ Pilgangoora lithium-tantalum project.
- MineARC safety chambers named WA business of the year
MineARC systems nabbed two awards including the 2018 Telstra Western Australian Business of the Year and Medium and Making Waves awards last week.
- Yancoal mine suspension is lifted by NSW Resources Regulator
Yancoal has received regulatory approval to recommence production at the Austar mine, after it was suspended from conducting all longwall activities by NSW Resources Regulator on July 9.
- All workers safe after fire at WA gold-copper mine
Doray Minerals has resumed activities after ensuring that there were no further hazards two days after its underground loader caught fire last week.
- Glencore receives recognition for safety and environment initiatives
Glencore’s Ravensworth open cut operations were being recognised for their safety initiatives in the Hunter Valley in New South Wales.
- Aboriginal Health Council commits funds to mental health training
Aboriginal Health Council of Western Australia (AHCWA) has allocated $1 million of funding to improve the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal communities including the Pilbara, Kalgoorlie and Kimberley regions.
- Hexagon Mining acquires Guardvant, ‘solidifies’ its leadership in fatigue solutions
Hexagon’s Mining division has acquired Guardvant, an Arizona-based safety technology provider for the mining industry, for an undisclosed amount.
- NSW Resources Regulator announces July to December priorities
NSW Resources Regulator has updated its half-yearly compliance priorities for July to December this year to help build safer mines.
- Rio Tinto’s new production hub to improve health and safety
Rio Tinto’s first intelligent mine in the Pilbara in Western Australia will deliver safety improvements to the mine site, incorporating the latest in high-tech advances in the industry.
- Colorado School of Mines receives $US1.14 million funding for two testing facilities
Colorado School of Mines has received funding to develop two new testing facilities that will help prevent methane gas explosions in coal mines.
- Tips for FIFO workers to stay healthy while on site
FIFO workers have significantly higher chance to be overweight or obese than their non-FIFO counterparts, research indicates. In 2013, 79 per cent of FIFO workers fit into the two categories, compared to 64 per cent of the general population in Australia.
- METS Ignited champions four Bowen Basin projects in Mackay
A project aimed at measuring workers’ physical, mental and emotional well-being was one of the four recipients of Commonwealth government’s funding under its Industry Growth Centre initiative, METS Ignited.